Selected Honors and Publicity
- 2020-2021 SUNY Chancellor’s Awards for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities
- 2021 External Senior Research Fellow, The National Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events (CREATE)
- 2021-2023 Buffalo Blue Sky Bronze Coin Holder, University at Buffalo
- 2019 Chauncey Starr Distinguished Young Risk Analyst Award, Society for Risk Analysis
- 2019 Exceptional Scholar Award - Sustained Achievement, University at Buffalo
- 2018 SEAS Senior Researcher of the Year Award, University at Buffalo
- 2018-2020 Buffalo Blue Sky Gold Coin Holder, University at Buffalo
- 2017 Koopman Prize from the INFORMS’ Military Applications Society for the outstanding publication in military operations research in 2016.
- 2014 Military Operations Research Journal Award for the best paper published in 2013 in the journal Military Operations Research, jointly awarded by the INFORMS' Military Applications Society and the Military Operations Research Society.
- 2013 Exceptional Scholar - Young Investigator Award, University at Buffalo
- Fellow, the 2011 U.S. Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship Program (AF SFFP), sponsored by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)
- Fellow, the 2009-2010 Next Generation of Hazards and Disasters Researchers Program, sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF)
- INFORMS, Decision Analysis Society, Student Paper Award, Honorable Mention, 2006.
- Intelligen's International Process Design Contest, Second Award, 2006.
Teaching and Mentoring
- 2020 Teaching Innovation Award, University at Buffalo.
- 2019-20 Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring Award, University at Buffalo.
- 2019 SEAS Best Senior Teacher of the Year Award, University at Buffalo.
- 2019 UB Student Engagement's Exemplary Faculty/Staff Mentor Award.
- 2012 UB President Emeritus and Mrs. Martin Meyerson Award for Distinguished Teaching and Mentoring.
- 2008 Graduate Student Mentor Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- 2019 40 Under 40 Award, Buffalo Business First
- 2018 Volunteer Service Award, INFORMS
- 2017 Best Reviewer Award, Risk Analysis, Society for Risk Analysis
- 2012 Outstanding Reviewer Award, Journal of Infrastructure Systems, American Society of Civil Engineers
- The Year in Research: Twelve ways UB researchers made groundbreaking discoveries -- and headlines -- in 2018, UB News Center, December 21, 2018
- Where'd You Hear That? A Rumor Mill Churns Amid Hurricane Michael’s Rubble, The New York Times, October 18, 2018
- How rumors spread on social media during weather disasters, NSF Discovery, September 18, 2018
- Unwitting participants in the misinformation race, Daily Sabah, June 4, 2018
- Can you trust Twitter in a crisis? The vast majority of users retweet rumours without question, Spark CBC Radio, May 27, 2018
- Editorial: Slow & Boring Facts, The Caledonian Record, May 22, 2018
- Here’s how misinformation multiplies on Twitter in the midst of a disaster, Metro, May 21, 2018
- Fake news on Twitter causes problems during disasters, StarTribune, May 20, 2018
- Science says that during disasters, people are terrible on Twitter, The Washington Post, May 17, 2018
- Beware of Fake Tweets During Disasters, Insurance Journal, May 17, 2018
- Researchers say Twitter users spread false news during disasters, The Asian Age, May 15, 2018
- Twitter users likely to spread false information during disasters: Study, Deccan Chronicle, May 15, 2018
- Active Twitter users likely to spread falsehoods during disasters, The New Indian Express, May 14, 2018
- Active Twitter Users Spread Misinformation And Rumors During Crises, Study Finds, International Business Times, May 14, 2018
- If You're Tweeting During a Disaster, You're Probably Spreading Fake News, Gizmodo, May 14, 2018
- Active users most likely to spread 'fake news' during emergencies on Twitter, The Economic Times, May 14, 2018
- Fewer than 10% of Twitter users actively call out fake news, The Drum, May 14, 2018
- Few Twitter users make these responses to incorrect information, study says, WCVB, May 13, 2018
- Few Twitter users make these responses to incorrect information, study says, WLKY News, May 13, 2018
- Few Twitter users make these responses to incorrect information, study says, WBALTV, May 13, 2018
- 90% of 'Active' Twitter Users Spread Falsehoods During Disasters: Study, NDTV, May 12, 2018
- 90% of 'Active' Twitter Users Spread Falsehoods During Disasters: Study, BGR, May 12, 2018
- Less than 10 percent of Twitter users questioned fake news, study suggests, Digital Trends, May 12, 2018
- During disasters, active Twitter users likely to spread falsehoods, ScienceDaily, May 12, 2018
- During disasters, active Twitter users likely to spread falsehoods, Phys.Org, May 11, 2018
- Amusement park death highlights need for safety, USA Today, August 9, 2016.
- Playing for resilience: Game theory and its applications can optimize responses to natural disasters and terrorism, Industrial Engineer, June 2015, 4 pages.
- Researcher Spotlight: Dr. Jun Zhuang, START News, November 20, 2013.
- CREATE Using Game Theory to Study Resource Allocation, CREATE Report/Publication, March 18, 2013. PDF. Link.
- Three Receive Faculty Mentoring Awards, UB Reporter, April 19, 2012. PDF.
- Faculty Research Update, The Center for Geohazards Spring 2012 Newsletter, April, 2012. PDF.
- Defending against a Terrorist, Industrial Engineer 44(3): 55-56, March 2012. PDF.
- The Tradeoffs between Protecting against Man-made and Natural Disasters, START News, March 12, 2012. PDF.
- What NFL Coaches and Investors Share, The Wall Street Journal, September 22, 2011. PDF.
- Undergraduate Research Highlights, The Council on Undergraduate Research Quarterly, 32(2): 23-24, 2011. PDF.
- Celebration of Academic Excellence: Student Posters, Buffalo Engineer, Fall 2011. PDF.
- Faculty Research Update, The Center for Geohazards Fall 2011 Newsletter, October, 2011. PDF.
- New Research in Game Theory and Disaster Recovery Published, CREATE Report/Publication, September 20, 2011. Link.
- Subsidizing Investments in Security, Industrial Engineer 42(9):54, September 2010.
- Game Theory or Not Game Theory? Hybrid Defensive Resource Allocations, Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) News, June 2010. Link.
- ISE’s Zhuang Works toward Optimal Defender Strategies, UB Engineering eNEWS, Fall 2009.
- New Faces of Engineering 2009,
nominated by Institute of Industrial Engineers, and selected by National Engineers Week Foundation, 2009.
- Extreme Engineer of the Month,
The Pre-Engineering Times: A publication of Junior Engineering Technical Society,
63:3-4, January 2008.
- Investment in Security, Industrial Engineer 39(3):53-54, March 2007.