Service to Industry
- Member of Peer Review Panel, for review of seismic design of Rainier Square Project (58 story skyscraper in Seattle, Washington.
City of Victoria / Dentons Canada LLP
- Expert witness on review of seismic design criteria for a new bascule bridge.
Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District
- Member of Expert Design Technical Review Panel, for review of seismic evaluation and retrofit of Golden Gate suspension bridge, in San Francisco, California.
CastConnex Corporation / Walter P. Moore
- Member of Peer Review Panel for a FEMA P-795 evaluation of Scorpion Yielding Connectors for use in construction of Buckling Restrained Braces.
- Expert advisor on seismic analysis, evaluation, and retrofit of the Pulaski Bridge, New Jersey.
- Review of seismic analysis, design, and retrofit provisions proposed for revised edition of the New Jersey Transit Authority's Design Manual, in the perspective of national seismic practice and impact on design.
Ministère des Transports Québec (Ministry of Transportation Québec)
- Expert review (provided in collaboration with Jean-Pierre Bardet, University of Southern California) of the seismic soil-structure interaction analyses conducted for a selected bent of the Île d'Orléans Bridge, a suspension bridge built in 1934 that spans the St-Lawrence River between Quebec City and Île d'Orléans. This included an assessment of: (i) adequacy of methodology for site specific seismic hazard definition; (ii) appropriateness of structural models and analysis approaches used to determine bridge response; (iii) credibility of obtained results, and; (iv) additional work needed to support the report’s conclusions.
- Provided opinion on seismic design procedure for the new highway A30 bridges across the St-Lawrence River and Beauharnois Canal (for the Ministry of Transportation of Québec ), including assessment of seismic performance per the Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code versus dual-Level evaluation procedures.
DMJM HARRIS / ARUP
- Member of Expert Panel, Tappan Zee Bridge Foundation Expert Workshop, for review of seismic retrofit of Tappan Zee Bridge (Cantilever steel truss on steel truss piers) and Foundations (on steel piles) over Hudson River, New York Thruway.
Klohn Crippen / American Bridge / Fluor JV
- Conceptual review of seismic design, Temporary Towers for Self-Anchored Suspension Span (SAS) Superstructure of San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge, including implementation of eccentrically braced steel towers with tubular links.
- Assessment of seismic evaluation procedures for tall unreinforced masonry walls.
- Development of seismic evaluation procedures for unreinforced clay masonry sub-station buildings.
- Issues with respect to developing an emergency post-earthquake inspection plan.
Trow Engineering / Pall Dynamics Limited
- Development of spectra-compatible time-histories for Bogota soft-soil sites.
Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Earthquake engineering expert services for review of document on seismic retrofit of residential houses.
Industrial Research Assistance Program, National Research Council of Canada
- Earthquake engineering expert services for review of progress on an IRAP sponsored project on the development of a new type of base isolation system for bridges.
Sauve Auger Boucher Consultants
- Provided expertise on ductile earthquake resistant design.
Morrison Hershfield Limited
- Preliminary seismic structural adequacy evaluation of two government buildings in Ottawa - identification of possible deficiencies and life-threatening features.
- Comments on philosophy and modeling techniques for the seismic-resistance adequacy of an existing five-story reinforced masonry building in Ottawa not complying to many of the Ontario Building Code seismic requirements.
- Specialist Technical Advisor on dynamic and advanced structural analysis methods for a design-verification partner qualification interview of Morrison Hershfield's by Mobil Oil Canada, for the Hibernia gravity base offshore platform project.
- Specialist Consultant on various other projects and structural engineering software development.
- Calibration of ductility in a tower with a strong stiffness discontinuity subjected to earthquake excitation (with Dr. S.A. Mahin, University of California, Berkeley)
- Performance and interface adequacy evaluation of a 3-D graphics software.