Welcome to Venkat Krovi’s Personal Page
University at Buffalo
1011 Furnas Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260
My research activities focus on the complete lifecycle treatment (design, modeling, analysis, control, implementation and verification) of a new generation of smart, embedded mechanical, mechatronic and robotic systems.
The recent explosion of communications capabilities, coupled with ongoing advances in computing effectiveness and revolutions in miniaturization of processors/ sensors/ actuators, has accelerated the pace of implementing truly distributed smart embedded systems with a variety of emergent applications in plant-automation systems, consumer electronics, automobile and defense applications. My research focuses both on theoretical formulation and experimental validation in the realization of such novel mechanical and mechatronic systems with the goal of realizing tangible enhancements in functionality, performance and cost-effectiveness.
For more up-to-date information including links to preprint PDFs, videos and presentations please visit the Automation Robotics and Mechatronics (ARM) Lab Website at: http://mechatronics.eng.buffalo.edu/
International Scientific Leadership
§ The bulk of my scientific leadership activities have been within the (A) Design Division (DED) of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and (B) Dynamic Systems and Control Division (DSCD) of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers; and (C) Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) within the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
§ Member, Design Materials and Manufacturing (DMM) Segment Leadership Team, under the Technical Events & Content Sector, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2014- ). The DMM Segment oversees all of ASME’s products, services, networking opportunities, conferences, events and delivery mechanisms across 15 Divisions (25000 members) in this market segment. URL: https://community.asme.org/design_materials_and_manufacturing_segment/
§ Chair, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Industry Connections Study Group on Surgical Robotics. URL: https://sites.google.com/site/ieeerassurgrobstandards/
§ Member and Treasurer of the Conference Activities Board (CAB) which is charged with providing oversight for successful conduct of all (~15) conferences of the Robotics and Automation Society of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. URL: http://www.ieee-ras.org/about-ras/governance/conference-activities-board
§ Member, Industrial Activities Board (IAB) which is charged with promoting industrial interactions and growth of the industrial community within the Robotics and Automation Society of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. URL: http://www.ieee-ras.org/about-ras/governance/industrial-activities-board
§ Chair-Elect and Secretary of the Mechanisms & Robotics Technical Committee (2011-2014) within the Design Division of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers prior to taking on a two-year term as Chair of the Committee (2014-2016). URL: https://sites.google.com/site/asmemrc/
§ Elected Voting Member, Mechanisms & Robotics Technical Committee for 6 years (2002-2008), charged with organization of various conferences and activities within the Design Engineering Division of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. URL: http://www.asme.org/divisions/ded/mechcomm/Home.htm
§ Founding Chair of the Robotics Technical Committee (2006-2008) and previously served a 3-year term (2003-2006) as the Vice-Chair of the Robotics Technical Panel in the Dynamic Systems and Control Division of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. URL: http://www.asme.org/divisions/dscd/committees/tech.html).
National Roadmapping Workshops/Reports/Site-Visits
§ Invited participant, 2nd National NSF/CCC/CRA Roadmapping Workshop for Medical and Healthcare Robotics, Los Angeles, CA July 23, 2012. Developed the Healthcare and Medical Robotics portion of the 2013 Edition of the Roadmap for US Robotics released to US Congress in March 2013. URL: http://robotics-vo.us/sites/default/files/2013%20Robotics%20Roadmap-rs.pdf
§ Invited Participant, NSF-Sponsored Workshop on Frontiers in Dynamic Systems and Control, Arlington, VA, Nov. 2-3, 2011. URL: http://dsc-conference.org/DSCC/2011/archives/593
§ Site Visitor, 3rd, 4th & 5th Annual ERC Site Visit of the CMU/Pitt Engineering Research Center on Quality of Life Technologies on behalf of the National Science Foundation.
§ Invited participant, NSF-Sponsored Workshop on Bio-Inspired Design, PaloAlto CA, Mar 20 2011. URL: http://designengineeringlab.org/BID-workshop/Workshop_1.html
§ Invited participant, NSF-CMMI Roadmapping Workshop for Neuromechanical Engineering, Arlington, VA, September 14 -15, 2009. URL: http://iml.bu.edu/~johnb/FinalWorkshopDetails.pdf
§ Site Visitor, NSERC Industrial Research Chair Application, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada, 2009.
International Conference Leadership
Leadership roles in conferences spanning: (A) ASME Design Engineering Division; (B) ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Division and (C) IEEE Robotics and Automation Society.
§ General Conference Chair, ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (IDETC2014), August 17-20 2014, http://www.asmeconferences.org/IDETC2014/ and Inaugural Advanced Design and Manufacturing Impact Forum http://go.asme.org/ImpactForum.
The International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (IDETC/CIE) is the annual flagship conference sponsored by the Design Engineering and Computers in Engineering Divisions of the ASME. It serves as the premier venue for disciplinary dissemination and professional networking within the corresponding technical communities. Held in downtown Buffalo, it was attended by 1500 people (with about 1000 presented-papers in 20 parallel tracks). The Inaugural ADMIF featured 50+ high-level speakers (including CEOs of ICONICS, MOOG, Kitware, Siemens Industry, and Airsep). URL: https://www.asme.org/events/advanced-design-manufacturing-impact-forum/featured-speakers
§ Finance Chair, 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Chicago, IL, Sept. 14-18 2014, http://www.iros2014.org/. (2500+ people)
§ Finance Chair, 2012 International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Minneapolis, MN, May 14-19 2012, http://www.icra2012.org (2500+ people)
§ Editor - Conference Editorial Board, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, (2000+ people) URL: http://www.ieee-ras.org/conferences-workshops/icra/icra-conference-editorial-board.
§ Invited Sessions Chair, 2011, 2012, and 2013 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conferences, http://dsc-conference.org400+ people). The Invited Sessions Paper mechanism was introduced within the ASME Dynamic Systems and Control conferences to allow for grassroots-level self-organization of the membership around technical topics of interest.
§ Finance Chair, 2010 IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, Toronto, Canada, August 22-24, http://www.case2010.org/. (400+ people)
§ Finance Co-Chair, 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Anchorage, AL, May 3-7 2010, http://www.icra2010.org/. (2500+ people)
§ Conference Chair, Mechanisms and Robotics Conference, ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences, Montreal, Canada, August 15-18, 2010, http://www.asmeconferences.org/IDETC2010/. (250+ people)
§ Organizing Committee, Two-day Single track Symposium on Surgical Robotics, IEEE International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (IEEE BIOROB 2012), Roma, Italy June 24-28, 2012, http://www.biorob2012.org (100+ people)
International Journal Editorial Duties
§ I currently serve as: (A) Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Robotics (June 2012- May 2015) and have previously served as: (B) Associate Editor of the Transactions of the ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control (Jan 2008- Dec 2010); and (C) Technical Editor of the IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (Apr 2008- Mar 2011).
§ I served as a Guest Editor of: (A) Special Issue in the ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control entitled “Novel Robotics and Control” in March 2006; (B) Focused Section in the IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics entitled “Novel Robotics and Control” in April 2006; (C) Special Issue for the International Journal of Robotics Research entitled “Machines for Human Assistance and Augmentation” in February 2008; and (D) Focused Section in the IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics entitled “Anthropomorphism in Mechatronic Systems,” in December 2009; and (E) Special Issue in the ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics entitled “Selected Papers from IDETC2014” due to publish in March 2015.
§ Executive Committee Member, Techne Institute for Arts and Emerging Technologies (3E Fund), College of Arts and Sciences, University at Buffalo.
The Executive Committee advises the Director and is responsible for vetting applications for funding opportunities, recruiting potential guest artists-in-residence, members of the Advisory Board and advising on programming.
Awards and Honors
· Best Robotics Student Paper Award (with Sovizi, J., and Alamdari, A.), “A Random Matrix Approach to Analyzing Manipulator Jacobians,” 2013 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, Palo Alto, CA, October 2013.
· Runnerup Best Poster Award (with S. K. Jun, M. S. Narayanan, A. Eddib, P. Singhal and S. Garimella), “Minimally Invasive Surgical Skill Assessment by Video-Motion Analysis”, 5th Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics, July 1- 2, 2012, London, UK.
· Hardens-Simons Best Journal Paper Award (with H. Shah, S. Tripathi and L. Lee), "Role of Automated Symbolic Generation of Equations of Motion to Enhance Robotics Education", ASEE Computers in Education Journal, July-September 2010, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 2-20.
· Best Paper Award (with P. Agarwal, M. S. Narayanan, L.-F. Lee, F. C. Mendel), “Simulation-Based Design of Exoskeletons using Musculoskeletal Analysis,” Computers in Engineering Conference, 2010 ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences, Montréal, Quebec, Canada, August 2010.
· Best Poster Award (with H. Shah, and M. S. Narayanan), “CAD-Enhanced Workspace Optimization for Parallel Manipulators: A Case Study,” 2010 IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering,Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
· Best Poster Award (with L.-F. Lee), “Musculoskeletal Simulation-based Parametric Study of Optimal Gait Frequency in Biped Locomotion,” IEEE/RAS-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob 2008), Phoenix, AZ, 2008.
· National Science Foundation CAREER Award, Robotics and Human Augmentation Program, Division of Information and Intelligent Systems, 2004.
· Riefler Award, University at Buffalo, 2002, 2003.
· 2000 Petro-Canada Young Innovator Award, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 2000.
· Proctor & Gamble Best Student Paper Award, 5th National Applied Mechanisms & Robotics Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1997.
· John A. Goff Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Pennsylvania, 1997.
· Proctor & Gamble Best Student Paper Award, 4th National Applied Mechanisms & Robotics Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1995.
· Finalist, All India Class X Mathematics Olympiad, India, 1986.
· National Talent Search Examination Scholarship Recipient, National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), Govt. of India, 1985-1992.